The Employer and the Union agree to implement a schedule that compresses the number of regular work days for employees. The parties acknowledge that the following terms and conditions will work in conjunction with and/or supersede related collective agreement provisions, where applicable.
1. Full-time employees will be assigned a schedule that compresses their number of regular work days, thereby providing them with an additional unpaid day off during each four- week period. Regular hours of work shall be normally 7.895 hours per day (or 7 hours and 53.7 minutes). Employees shall therefore be normally scheduled for nineteen days of work for each four (4) week pay period.
2. Part-time employees will be assigned a schedule that compresses their number of regular work days, thereby providing employees with an additional unpaid day off during each reference period of no greater than eight (8) weeks. This additional unpaid day off will be created by enhancing each pre-implementation shift of7.5 hours by 23.7 minutes (to a total of 7 hours and 53.7 minutes), or a prorated portion of this amount for shifts less than 7.5 hours in length (i.e. a ‘pre- pilot’ shift of 4 hours would be enhanced to 4.21 hours or 4 hours and 12.6 minutes).
3. It is understood by the parties that there is no intention for any employee to lose nor gain guaranteed regular hours due to the implementation of this compressed workweek arrangement (i.e. cost neutral). It is understood however that the compressed workweek arrangement will result in some variation in an employee’s bi- weekly schedule and compensation, due to the re- allocation of hours across the applicable reference period (i.e. 4 weeks or as applicable). An employee therefore may not achieve their guarantee of hours within each pay period but will do so within the applicable averaging/reference period.
4. All provisions of the collective agreement will remain unchanged, except where noted in this memorandum and except to acknowledge that all current references to 7.5 hours (for the purposes of daily hours and applicable premium/overtime thresholds) shall be deemed changed to 7.895 hours (or 7 hours and 53.7 minutes). Such adjustments shall apply throughout the collective agreement and will impact all relevant articles, including but not limited Articles 7.01, 7.02b, 9.01, 9.02, 15.05, etc.
5. Total accrual and entitlement hours for vacation, sick leave, and each other individual paid leave (i.e. bereavement, serious illness leave, etc.) shall neither increase nor decrease due to the implementation of this memorandum/initiative. This thus implies, for example, that where an employee is currently eligible for a total of five (5) days of paid leave per year, maximum compensation shall not exceed 37.5 hours (5 days at 7.5hrs/day). Noting that five (5) 7.895-hour days on’ a compressed schedule would exceed this total, it is understood that any additional time off required to provide an employee with a full shift and/or full leave shall be at no cost to the employer (i.e. in the above example, an individual might take off four (4) full 7.895 hours. They would then only be left with 5 hrs 55 minutes. To take (5) full days off, they might apply for leave without pay for the remaining time.
6. Where mutually agreed between the employer and the employee, and subject to operational considerations, a scheduled ‘additional unpaid day off may be moved to an alternate day within the applicable reference period (i.e. 4 weeks or as applicable).
7. In exceptional circumstances, the employer and employee may mutually agree to bank or defer up to one (1) additional unpaid day off. Where such banking is agreed to, this ‘banked’ day shall be scheduled during the following reference period.
8. It is understood that no premiums, overtime payments and/or top up payments will apply nor be incurred due to the deferral and/or banking arrangements contemplated in #5 or #6.
9. The parties acknowledge that there may be employees who do not want their regular work schedule to be compressed as contemplated in this memorandum. Employees wishing to be excluded may apply in writing to the employer. At its discretion, the employer may approve or disapprove such requests. It is however understood that the change to the daily overtime threshold referenced in #4 will not apply to non-participating members and the provisions of Article 9.01 will apply.
10. Where an employee has opted not to participate as per #9, such exclusion will remain in effect indefinitely (for the duration of their position assignment) unless otherwise approved by the employer.
11. This memorandum will remain in effect for the duration of the current collective agreement (February 29, 2012 – February 28, 2017) or unless otherwise agreed to by the parties.