WITHOUT PREJUDICE OR PRECEDENT
Whereas the parties have created and maintain a Universal Benefits Plan which would apply to all eligible employees at Canadian Blood Services, the Parties hereby agree that:
1. All eligible employees represented by the Union shall participate in the Universal Benefits Plan. Eligibility to participate in the benefits plan shall continue to be in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
2. The Universal Benefits Plan, as described in the attached plan summary, shall replace the benefit entitlements as described in the Article 19 – Benefits of the Collective Agreement.
3. Other than full time Employees’ eligibility for participation in the Universal benefits Plan shall continue as per their current eligibility for participation under the Collective Agreement.
4. The levels of coverage of the Universal Benefits Plan shall not be reduced from those levels in effect as of the date of signing of this Memorandum of Understanding.
5. The Employer shall make any future enhancements to the Universal Benefits Plan at its sole discretion.
6. If the Union no longer wishes to participate in the Universal Benefits Plan, it may indicate its intention to withdraw from the Plan concurrent with its notice to bargain as outlined in Article 19 of the Collective Agreement. The parties would then be free to negotiate levels of benefit coverage; after which time this Memorandum of Understanding shall be null and void. The level of benefits provided under the Universal Benefits Plan shall remain in effect for the duration of this Collective Agreement, the aforementioned notice period and during the negotiation period for a renewal Collective Agreement.
For the Purposes of this Memorandum of Understanding:
• The “Employer” shall mean Canadian Blood Services, Regina, Saskatchewan
• The “Union” shall mean Health Sciences Association of Saskatchewan “The Parties” shall mean the Employer and the Union.
• “Universal Benefits Plan” shall mean the extended health care, dental, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, long term disability and business travel accident insurance plans provided to non- union employees (and as amended by the attached plan description) as of the date of signing of this Memorandum of Understanding.
• An “eligible employee” shall mean an employee who is entitled to participate in the Universal Benefits Plan benefits plan, subject to the rules and regulations of the plan.
• “Collective Agreement” shall mean the Collective Agreement between Canadian Blood Services, Regina, Saskatchewan, and the Health Sciences Association of Saskatchewan