To All HSAS Members Employed at North East EMS:
A tentative agreement was reached between HSAS and North East EMS on Tuesday, April 13, 2021. This morning, your Executive Council reviewed that tentative agreement and has voted to recommend acceptance of this settlement to the membership of HSAS employed at North East EMS, covered by the HSAS/NEEMS Collective Agreement.
The tentative agreement was reached after numerous bargaining dates since the parties reconvened talks following the breakdown of negotiations in 2019, with those dates spanning from April 16, 2020 to April 13, 2021.
The length of the new agreement is 9 years, extending from April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2026.
The general wage increases for this agreement begin on April 1, 2020 and result in a 7% increase by the end of the contract on March 31, 2024, in addition to the retroactive introduction of the “market supplement” rate of 3.43% for members working PCP/ICP classifications and the “market adjustment” rate of 3.43% for members classified as ACPs.
Further, any increase to wages, shift premiums and stand-by rates provided to PCP/ICP/ACP members covered by the HSAS/SAHO Collective Agreement will be applied retroactively to the same date for NEEMS members.
In addition to general wage increases, there are a number of language improvements. Some of those include:
- The implementation of double overtime (2x regular rate) for all members who work more than 14 consecutive hours or more than 14 hours in a single day
- An increase in the SCoP fee top-up from 55% to 100% for all members
- An improvement from a ratio of 6/1 to 3/1 for the crediting of standby hours toward seniority and pro-rata hours
- The addition of Family Responsibility Leave and Medical Care Leave for full-time and part-time employees
- An increase to the boot allowance from $150 to $300 for all members
- Agreement on the terms and conditions of HSAS members who work at Cumberland House
An information package containing the Memorandum of Agreement and ballot will be mailed to members in the coming weeks- allowing the necessary time for printing and Canada Post delivery times affected by Covid-19. We encourage all members to review the information and to cast their ballots.
Once confirmed, the mail-out date and deadline for return of the ballots will be provided to members in a future communication.
If any members have changed their mailing address, please reply to this email with the updated information.
Labour Relations Officer
Labour Relations Officer